22 February 2007

Language Intensive



From 9 to 5 Monday through Saturday we are in a Hindi intensive class.

Maria and Joseph have taken a break from their regular schooling to join this as well. Danielle is still going to her school so she comes home every day to see us hard at work!

Here are some Hindi idioms we’ve picked up:

  • In English we say, “I passed (or did something) by the skin of my teeth.” In Hindi, it’s “Bal-bal bajna” or “I passed by my hair”
  • In English we say, “Have some food.” In Hindi, the meaning is the same but it comes out “pet pooja kar leejeeay” literally translated, “Please do stomach worship” (Now there’s something to talk about!)
  • In English we say, “I’m starved.” In Hindi, we can say the same thing this way: “There are mice jumping in my stomach” or “Pet may choohay kood r-hay hay”
  • In English, we can describe something negative as leaving a “sour taste” in our mouths. In Hindi, we say “sour grapes” “Angoor katta hay”

Note: Be careful how we spell and say words:

    • Kana is food
    • KHana is a one eyed-man
    • PyaR is love
    • PyaZ is onion

4 comments:

Tim and Amy said...

So I guess you have to be careful not to say you PyaR PyaZ? :-)
Have fun.
Love yah.
Me.

Tim and Amy said...

Bal-bal bajna - "I passed by my hair" - So I guess in your case this means you actually walked by it??? :-)
Ha ha.... That's what sisters are for... :-)
Love you.
Me.

FLvdA said...

I like the stomach worship thing. That has alot of eyeopening meaning.


hey, that is one heck of a bald spot!!

b

Anonymous said...

aah... so this is the hindu class that Maria loves. ;) j/k
sounds like fun! I wish I could learn hindu. Hope you learn it!!!